Under the banner of transport for 125 years
1887: Hamburg was booming. The rising export economy of the German Empire ensured there were full order books in the Hanseatic City and the city's port was a hive of activity. The proudest expression of this economic upsurge was the newly constructed warehouse district, the Speicherstadt - even today the largest interconnected warehouse complex in the world. It is here that Arthur Hartrodt founded his freight-forwarding business, a. hartrodt, on 1st May 1887 in the Alter Wandrahm area.
The business was focused internationally from the very beginning: a subsidiary in Antwerp and the first branch office in the Netherlands were opened shortly after the founding of the company. Worldwide trade was also in the sights of a. hartrodt from an early stage: in 1907 the barque "Gretchen Hartrodt“ set out on the long journey to Melbourne, which it reached after a voyage of 83 days. In addition to Australia, prospects in North and South America also beckoned: from 1914 onwards from his base in Buenos Aires, Arthur Hartrodt expanded the traffic routes to the South American continent. The company developed into the leading freight forwarder to Australia and South America, taking German influence to all corners of the world: a particular speciality was the export of German pianos.
The 1930s brought profound changes: in 1936 the company founder Arthur Hartrodt died and when the Second World War broke out three years later, the company was not spared from the impact of the conflict. It was only due to the efforts of dedicated employees, that the post war company was able to rise again quickly. As well as founding freight depots in several locations in Germany, the company also extended its air freight business, which was controlled initially from Hamburg and then later from Frankfurt.
In addition to strengthening its existing locations in South America and Australia, the network of a. hartrodt was systematically extended elsewhere: the first office in South Africa was added in 1969 and the growing significance of transport to Eastern Europe was also recognised at an early stage by a. hartrodt. When the office in Tokyo was opened, Asia joined the continents represented on the company's map.
The 1970s brought a significant revival in the freight business with the introduction of containers and a. hartrodt immediately participated in the boom. In 1971 the company moved to its new business premises at 35 Högerdamm, Hamburg where it has its headquarters to this day.
The following years were characterised by expansion. In addition to development of the existing locations, China also became a new destination for the company's focus: Shanghai, Shenzhen, Beijing and Qingdao became new locations. Through the founding of food & beverage logistics (HK) Ltd, a. hartrodt was also able to offer, from 2005 onwards, an extensive range of food and beverage transport services to this region.
Today there is a personal contact for a. hartrodt in virtually every corner of the globe. The company's 2,000 employees provide optimum transport solutions worldwide which go far beyond sea and air freight: from courier dispatch to shipment of complete turnkey projects, a. hartrodt has the right solution for almost every logistics requirement.
Change of the partnership status of the company to a. hartrodt (GmbH & Co) KG, with a. hartrodt management company ltd as the shareholder and the following limited partners: Konrad Wenzel, Joachim Siegfried van Tienhoven, Meta Hake and Arthur Wenzel.
Founding of many subsidiaries in Europe and overseas
Introduction of EDP